Monday, December 17, 2007

Steroids in baseball

After reading through about 200 pages of The Mitchell Report, I think I'm ready to comment on the use of performance enhancing drugs in professional baseball.

So my response is quite simple:
Eh.

Nothing in it surprised me. Baseball, while it is the closest thing to religion I have at times, is still merely entertainment. I don't look up to any of these players as American Heroes. I love baseball, but its individuals are all but irrelevant to me.

This is a great opportunity for baseball players -- those mentioned in it -- to distinguish themselves, though. I get a lot of flack for this, but I have a lot of respect of Andy Pettitte. He came out after the report and said, 'yeah; I took HGH...I made a mistake, I'm sorry.' People who deny it when there's a lot of evidence, I have no respect for. Especially those who say "I didn't do it, and I don't think it's a problem..."

Will I still watch baseball? Yeah! Will I still root for the Red Sox? Of course! Will I worship those players who were not named? Nope! They still make ungodly amounts of money to play a game. I'm jealous of them and hope to one day be as lucky to be paid to do what I would do for free. But for now, I'm just going to digest baseball the same way I did before: as entertainment and a medium through which life can be communicated.

But that's a story for another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment