Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Secret of Socks

Those who know me know that among the many idiosyncrasies I have, one is my life-long goal to obliterate awkward elevator silence. Most of the time, I fill this awkward elevator silence with awkward elevator conversation – or more common yet, awkward elevator monologue, but in these monologues I’ve explored a lot of things.

My favorite monologue came in the dead of winter last year when someone looked at me and said, ‘you look happy in spite of the weather.’ I said, ‘of course I am; I know the secret to true happiness!’ She looked at me quizzically.

I looked down at her feet, looked down at my feet, and, with my usual indefatigably cheerful tone said, “fleece socks!”

She looked at me, confused more than anything. (Why anyone who has ever shared an elevator with me is confused when I come up with statements like this is beyond me, but the point remains: She was confused.)

So I explained myself quite simply. Warm, dry feet are happy feet. And when I have happy feet, I have a happy body. And when I have a happy body, I have a much better chance of having a happy me.

I was caught in a rainstorm amidst a bad day on Tuesday this week, and after sitting in class for 2 hours trying to dry off, my feet remained unhappy. The rest of me was dry and getting over the horrible happenings of morning, but my feet – cold and wet. So I bought new socks. Within 5 minutes of new socks, and thus warm and happy feet, the world turned around. Phone calls started to come in my favor. Class work seemed less dull. My ginger ale tasted better. My ice cream – well that tasted fantastic!

(Good company always helps, but even with the best company in the world, without happy feet, whomever I’d share the ice cream with would not get to enjoy me for me because, well, my feet would get in the way.)

So my feet may or may not have a mind of their own, but they certainly have emotions of their own which have an undeniable effect on my affect.

So I submit to you, the blogosphere, the secret of true happiness is simple: happy feet.

And that is the secret of socks.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Feet is a good movie! And yet I cannot stop thinking of Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump...

    You're right though-- mind and body are completely one, and the feet bear so much weight, literally, throughout the day. Those poor guys (yes, I am anthropomorphizing them XD) are like one's ambassadors with the ground-- with the earth, if you think about it. They traverse any terrain, rough or smooth, and take you with them. You're wise to show them some TLC ^_^

    I actually have a pair of flats that are completely covered with silver glitter. They sparkle in any kind of light, and when I wear them, I am invincible.

    --Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought of it that way! Great writing once again! ..off to put on some socks, see ya ;P

    ReplyDelete