Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Snapshots of New York City

For my poetry class, I spent the last couple weeks working on a few very short "snapshots" of New York.

Most of these are actually based in things I've written about on this blog. I think I have more of these in me, too, but this is it for now. (Perhaps I'll annotate them later in the week if anyone wants links to the long stories that go with the short vignettes.)

--

World Peace! Can you spare some world peace?
Silence
He settles for a Hebrew National from the Pakistani vendor.

--

Waltzing with a silent partner
forcing my umbrella from my grip
to its final resting place on the curb

--

The happiest man on earth
the homeless man on 12th street
dancing, singing, and begging.
No money, no worries, no problems
just beer.

--

A sixth floor jazz club:
New York Skyline,
Kenny Barron,
Chocolate Cake,
Merlot.

--

Are you, by any chance, Jewish?
I hate the Mitzvah Mobile.
I've given up religion; let me go to class.

--

I eat dinner alone as she walks in
with him.
She could do better.
She chews with her mouth open.
He could do better.

1 comment:

  1. I love the last one. It's my favorite. Biting and harsh. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete