Saturday, April 21, 2007

Words of Wisdom (From Jazz Musicians)

I know it’s not Monday, and I said I would update twice-weekly, Thursday and Monday, but I just wanted to pass along two pieces of advice I’ve gotten in school over the last few years. I don’t know why I’m passing these along, but they seem appropriate to me. And more related than I ever thought.

Richard Boukas and I were standing at the mailboxes at the end of my freshman year. Boukas is putting things – charts, tests, assignments…whatever – into some of his students’ mailboxes.

Me: I always feel left out when everyone’s mailbox has something in it and mine is empty.
Boukas: Sometimes the lack of something is a gift. It’s very Zen, but you know…
Me: And sometimes, it just means that nobody has anything to give you.

Neither one of us was talking about mail.

Almost a year later, Arun Luthra told us an anecdote after class. I don’t know if it’s true, but I enjoy it. And it took me until tonight – over a year later from this anecdote – for me to realize how interconnected the two are.

He has a friend/mentor/professor who did a sabbatical and visited a small island...forget where. (He said, I just don't remember. Coast of India, perhaps?) But there, when people make appointments, it's to "meet under the tree" and no time is denoted. Basically, whenever the time is right and we are both under the tree, that's when we were supposed to meet under the tree.

So to those of you reading this blog: I’ll see you under the tree. Bring mail.

1 comment:

  1. that's a really good antedote.

    -you unfortuntately got to read what i despise doing with my words, letting them see my faults in the lines of being lonely- lol i must be strong! iit's not that grand of a deal, i think it is also my lack of confidence that plays into role, or maybe i am so high kempt- that there isnt anyone and i should turn down the notches, but then again why would i even think about doing this?

    but back to your blog- sweet.

    ReplyDelete