Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Some quick bullets

*Not that I'd know from experience or anything, but I gotta say -- it's pretty upsetting when a computer blind date service cannot find you a date and you are forced to read emails thrice a week that say, "We're sorry, but we couldn't find you a date tonight."

Yeah -- not that I know from experience...

*I had an eerie subway ride home from school today. Totally silent. Rush hour, uptown 4-train from Union Square. It was not as packed as usual (because there was one immediately in front or us), but still, even in trains with seats still available they are never this quiet, There wasn't a single person whose iPod was loud enough to hear it outside of his own ears, and the only conversation in the entire car was in sign-language and only lasted for 7 seconds or so.

*The rumors are true: I own my first (and second) pair of jeans in over 10 years. And in the 3 days of owning jeans, I've worn them twice. (Today because it was laundry day.)

*Related story: Sitting in school today and someone said hi to me and had to double-take. "You look different. Wearing contacts?" "Nope; I had laser eye surgery in March." "Haircut?" "Not since I last saw you." "Shave differently?" "Who knows; I have a new facial hair choice ever two weeks." "Then what is it?" "I'm wearing jeans for the first time in 10 years?" "Hmm...that's it?" "Yeah - that's the only different thing about me." "Wow. That really IS it! Well, welcome to the world of jeans." "Thanks; it'll take some getting used to."

*I had a coupon for a free small order of fries at Burger King today. Bad fries, but fun experience. Well-dressed 40-something black man behind me (and next to me after I ordered) in line. He just started telling random stories. Here's one. (Remember, his words, not mine.)

"I love the English language. You can really make anything. Like last week, I was in a diner and a woman came in. This is a true story, by the way. 'I'll have a small Greek.' And the guy at the counter turned around and said, 'Dmitri, you're wanted.' And a small Greek, a midget -- all dressed up in uniform -- came out to the front. I love this language. She just wanted a salad and they gave her a small Greek man!"

I asked how much the woman was charged for the small man, but he had no answer and instead started talking about this guy he knows who raised chickens in the basement of a store on 3rd Ave and that he should have raised pitbulls, because that's where the money is. Then the cashier chimed in, saying that she raises pitbulls and they get $350 for a female and $200 for a male puppy.

*This post has been brought to you by procrastination: Now with MSG.

*I'm wearing khakis and a gray fleece tomorrow, if only so I can feel like me again. And now, back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment