Monday, September 28, 2009

Thoughts while resigning

This Friday, I submitted two weeks notice at my job. This post isn't about the reasons behind it, but suffice it to say, sometimes we have to take a very large risk and leave a secure situation in order to maintain sanity and happiness. But that's not the point.

This, of course, caused me to get thinking...about everything.

This is the first time I've ever quit from anything. (I know what you're thinking: How is that possible? Nothing? Really? Ever?! I did quit a summer job once, but that wasn't quite like this. It was a $9.75/hour lifeguarding job where I was mistreated. I felt no guilt quitting there. And I was part of a slew of (3?) people who quit all within a day or two. My extracurriculars were never me walking away -- and even when I did walk away, I stayed involved and hadn't really quit. I've never even "quit" a relationship -- always been "fired" so to speak, but that's a discussion for another time.)

So this quitting thing -- it's really kind of scary. It's hard to take a look and say that you're in a situation where the only thing that makes sense any more is to leave and that things cannot -- or should not -- be worked out. And there's nothing scarier than saying "I'm not sure what comes next, but it's going to be better than this and I can't wait for it to find me, I have to find it -- and I may have to be unemployed to find it."

Bottom line -- it's life-changing. It's an experience everyone should have once. Just make sure to have support. It may be an individual decision, but it's one nobody should have to make alone.

Right now, I think it may be the best thing I've ever done. Get back to me in two weeks, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment