Thursday, July 31, 2008

16 years and 5 weeks later...

There are two weeks left in my 17-year career at Cape Cod Sea Camps. I started in 1992 as a 6-year-old camper who couldn't tie his own shoes, and here I am now a 22-year-old who's done just about everything.

I've taught swimming
I've run an archery program
I've filled in for the director in charge of programming
I've filled in for the registrar
I've driven a van when the bus was too full
I've been the assistant head of the 11-year olds
I've run the 11-year-olds for days at a time
I've been just about everyone's assistant
And I've done really random little tasks that I can't even think of.

And now, I'm ready to leave.

I have 11 days left -- including tomorrow. And it's been a fantastic run.

No sadness, just excitement for the future.

I'll miss the routine. I'll miss the place. I'll really miss the people. But I have no regrets, and I don't regret it if this does turn out to be my last year. And I won't regret it if I end up unemployed and back at camp.

But I think I'm ready to grow up.

It's about time.

No comments:

Post a Comment