Sunday, July 6, 2008

Watching the Fog Roll In

Tonight I pulled double-duty, going to a Cape League game with my father both to keep recording for my "Baseball Is..." project and as a fan.

On the project front, I interviewed a father and his 9-year-old son. I am not sure how much of these interviews will be used (I figured I get as much raw material as possible without going overboard so I can shape my project once it gets approved officially without too much new legwork...) for the final production, but I enjoy these interviews regardless of their final use. This particular pair, I liked watching the son react to hearing the father's story of his early baseball game, and I liked even more watching the father's reaction to the son talking about sharing the game with his dad. That is what baseball is all about to me, and even if the recordings don't show it, the process does.

As for my own personal experience with the game...

Tonight felt like it could be a scene from Field of Dreams. Chatham's ballpark is famous for the thick fog that rolls quickly in. One second you can see for miles, and the next, you cannot see the mound from center field. Tonight was one of those nights.

Sitting outside as the temperature dropped from quite hot and really humid to cool and even more humid, watching baseball, listening to the sounds that come with being at the ballpark, putting on a sweatshirt, and watching fog engulf the park -- that's what summer baseball should feel like.

Well, that and the stampede of children running after every foul ball...

No comments:

Post a Comment