Sunday, July 27, 2008

7th Annual Nat Duncan Memorial Archery Tournament

I spoke of this tournament last year. This past Thursday was this year's. It's the tournament in memory of a camper who died September 16, 2001 after a battle with a brain tumor.

This year was the 7th one, and looking back, I realize that I've run -- or helped run -- every one of them. After winning last year, my JCs all said to me, "We'll get you next year!" And I responded by telling them, "No you won't; I retire." I kept my word and shot only 6 arrows the entire tournament, and that was a photo-op.

My day Thursday started with me knowing it was gonna be a great tournament. The head of the 11-year-olds was out, so I had to be her in the morning. The registrar was out in the afternoon, so I had to be him and make sure that the busses left on time with everyone on them at the end of the day. The weather was threatening and I had to keep constant watch on rain, wind, and potential thunder. And I was wearing an ankle brace that -- combined with my shoe -- was starting to cut off circulation to my toes. It was the kind of day I live for.

The tournament was successful and emotional, as it always is. But the emotions have changed. As I was giving the results I looked out and gave a short speech after the camp director and Nat's mother spoke briefly.

I said that I had memories of the first tournament and how it was a celebration of Nat that year, and here, 6 years later, there were only a handful of us who knew Nat, but the tournament embodied what Nat has become: camp as a place of togetherness and fun. It is an event that brings together the entire JC program -- archery folk and non-archery folk alike -- in a day that is just about being with one-another and learning from each other -- which is exactly what Nat's summer at camp was.

Next year, though I will likely not be back at camp again, I plan on taking my vacation around the tournament and continuing to participate.

And who knows; maybe I'll take home a second championship.

No comments:

Post a Comment