Monday, August 25, 2008

10 PM nature sounds

Nature sounds different here versus Cape Cod. No crickets. No gusts of wind against the leaves that make me say, "is it raining?" No more june bugs against my window screen. (No more window screen, for that matter.)

But there is something oddly comforting about Manhattan "nature" sounds.

There's something that makes me smile about the groups of children playing in the street (the one with no cars allowed...) and laughing at 10 at night -- a sound that will likely stop when school starts. There's something oddly comforting about sirens going by as I eat dinner. The routine of the bus beeps as it is kneeled for the elderly that calms my nerves. And the hum of the air conditioners is the perfect white-noise backdrop to an 11 PM walk.

(Did I mention that I love being able to walk at 11 PM, not be alone, and not need a flashlight?)

Sure it's a different kind of nature, but it's beautiful to me all the same.

Just for reference, my night route. It's a very safe route for after dark (by 24-hour stores and door-man buildings galore). It's less than half a block under 2 miles...so I call it two miles, because it's over 2 miles after my 5th floor walkup and walk-down...)

3 comments:

  1. You just made me homesick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well the things you've said about ,how to find Nature Sounds at 10 PM
    good
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first of a kind thing i heard..

    ReplyDelete