Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Good Deed

Perhaps it's the fact that I am having some spiritual crises right now and constantly question my religious beliefs, but I must say that I've always thought it's more important to be a good person than a good Jew.

So today I was going for a bite between classes. I went to Wendy's because...well...I don't need to justify myself to you people.

There was a homeless man holding the door open as I walked in. Usually these guys ask for change on the way out, and I typically give them change. In my mind, they earned it by holding the door for me. (This is how I justify it rather than just giving change to those guys just sitting on the street.)

This man, as I walked in, said, "Would you get me a hamburger?" I'm sure he said it to everyone who went in, but I stopped in my tracks and said, "You got it!"

Eight-nine cents (plus tax) later, I was leaving and he was eating a hamburger. He was delighted and grateful. He said, "God bless you." The thing that surprised me about this is the fact that I got great pleasure out of his well-wish of the religious sense.

I can't explain it. Perhaps it's the same joy I get out of a "Merry Christmas." It has nothing to do with the religion, it's just the fact that someone else notices me to wish me well, which is something that happens so rarely in New York City.

Or maybe it's because I think the blessings will matter if I'm wrong, God does exist, and Hell does exist...

I guess it's nice to be covered -- in Karma and blessings. Eighty-nine cents (plus tax) is a small price to pay for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment