Saturday, September 13, 2008

Rain in Manhattan

I love being outside in the rain.

Well, specific types of rain.

It has to be heavy enough to get my hair legitimately wet, light enough to not soak through my top layer -- though getting my top layer wet to the point that I cannot put it on again after taking it off is fantastic -- and, most importantly, no thunder. (I've already discussed my fear of thunder and lightning, however rational or irrational it may be...)

Rain like this makes me feel truly alive. And I hate using an umbrella. (In fact, I think the only real reason people use umbrellas on Manhattan is to combat the umbrellas of everyone else. Umbrellas are not designed for dense population, as the metal points are RIGHT AT EYE LEVEL! Ouch! Fortunately, I'm short enough and quick enough to sneak under others' umbrellas easily, or just walk 2 steps in the street and avoid it all completely.)

I just love getting wet. It makes me feel like part of nature. It refreshes me. And I get some kind of strange joy watching people struggle with umbrellas only to have no struggles myself -- since I have no umbrella.

I love wearing my sunglasses in the rain -- either on top of my head where I get to take them down and wipe them off when I get inside -- or over my eyes -- where I pretend that they are the windshield between the elements and the climate-controlled inside of my being.

When I'm at the beach, I like watching the patterns that the raindrops make -- darkening the sand drop-by-drop until the mosaic turns into a fully covered canvas. When I wear my sunglasses, it's the same kind of effect happening right in front of me -- but I get to clean the glasses and start from the beginning as often as I choose.

But the best part about being out in the rain?

The shower and hot chocolate that wait for me back home.

3 comments:

  1. I also like rain as it smells good in my country. I like rain in NYC cuz it's relaxing to hear the sounds of water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, there's nothing like warm cuddles after some rain.

    I like the rain more when I'm not stuck in terrible traffic on the Garden State Parkway, though. ARGH.

    --Nat

    ReplyDelete