Friday, November 21, 2008

Mirrored Existence

I was in the Union Square subway station today and someone was walking around with a mirror.

I was fascinated by this. I mean, when we think of mirrors, it's in our bedrooms, our bathrooms -- perhaps even the all-glass office building we walk by to get to work -- but not in a subway station.

I couldn't stop following this person around. I wanted to see what everyone else sees of me when I'm out in public. I wanted to have an out-of-body public-place experience.

But most of all, I wanted to see if anyone else noticed. I wondered if I was the only person who saw this place-based anachronism (is there a word for that?) -- as an opportunity, as I did, or even merely noticed it.

It almost makes me want to get a mirror and just stand on a street corner and see what happens.

Maybe when it gets warmer...

1 comment:

  1. And then ask people to tell them your story while watching themselves! Add in some pudding and call it performance art! :)

    ReplyDelete