Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Caught in the rain

Monday was a beautiful day. It was one of the few holidays for which I had the day off from school, I had no more homework to do for the short-term, I couldn't run any errands because the management company and the post office were both closed, and it was 65 degrees. Sounds like the perfect day for a walk to me!

Around 2 PM, I finally got outside. I was surprised at how nice it was and upset at how long I'd taken to get outside. Of course, never trusting my own sense of temperature or the internet for what it's really like outside, I had my had in the back pocket of my khakis. (I was, of course, without jacket.)

It was a beautiful day, yes, but for some reason, I kept walking West -- towards the ominous dark clouds. The rain didn't scare me. I was excited for it, in a way.

And when I hit Park Avenue, between 95th and 94th, walking south after exploring some architecture by the park, the heavens opened. It wasn't just a light rain, it was a downpour. I blasted my music, unzipped my sweatshirt, put on my had (to stay somewhat dry and keep from getting sick), and danced around.

The music playing, "Hang Gliding" from Maria Schnieder's album Allegresse, seemed oddly fitting. As people crowded under the large awning of nearly 1199 Park Ave, trying to keep from soaking through their clothing, I laughed. "Silly people," I thought. Of course, they were all laughing at me -- or at the very least, confused by me -- as I looked at them and laughed at them.

As the rain died, I took off my hat, pulled off my headphones, and lingered in silence until I got home and got to experience among my favorite feelings in the world: A hot shower after being drenched in the rain.

4 comments:

  1. This post made me smile.

    It brought me back to a day where I was wearing my white sweatshirt and jeans and without umbrella, I was on the lower east side and decided to walk all the way up on first ave until it changes into york ave. and somewhere between 23rd and 38th street it started to down pour, I made it over to the dead end of this street by the river and just spinned around, I love it, i just let myself continue my walk in the pouring rain.

    And it was such a relief, I had the day to myself, nothing to worry about. I felt New York's beautiful vibe... and I had my amazing music by my side.

    Boy I walked all the way to 80 something street when it started to fade away (the rain).

    **I predicted that short burst of rain when I was in a grocery shop to my friend on Monday PS

    ReplyDelete
  2. or is it that 1st ave stays 1st and york is the next one over??

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love being in the rain. And dancing in it. And being so cold, and then warm in the shower. Wow. We're totally twins! Jk, I think it means we might be meant for each other, but I don't know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm time for an update?

    mr. A.Y.BusinessMan

    ReplyDelete