Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I voted

Sure I didn't get a sticker to publicize it, but that's what blogs are for: to publicize the fact that I VOTED!

It was the hardest decision I've ever made in a 2-foot by 3-foot enclosed space. (Note: New York still uses the old lever machines that Massachusetts used in my youth. Walking into this machine was like walking into a time machine, going back to being 8 and voting with my mother...and then my father 2 hours later.)

I was the ultimate undecided voter. I made my decision on my walk to the voting booth. Even in the booth, it was hard for me not to throw my vote away and vote for the one-time candidate whom I supported the most: Bill Richardson.

What made my decision? Endorsements.

Not celebrity endorsements or newspaper endorsements. It wasn't Barbara Streisand or Oprah; it wasn't The Boston Globe or the New York Times; it wasn't Ted Kennedy or Maria Shriver. (Although, I admit, I would have voted for whomever Bill Richardson told me, although he did not issue an endorsement. Perhaps keeping his options open for VP nod, regardless of winner?)

It was the endorsements of those I know personally whom I respect. It was Matt and Ari and Molly and Tom and Jeff and Dan and Tyrone and Jose and countless others. It was those who could give me concrete reasons to vote for someone, not just an "I like him" or "If Oprah says to vote for..." or "Chuck Norris doesn't vote, he just tells the world what is..."

As much as I was annoyed by my inbox flooding with support for one candidate or another, with every additional email from someone I respect, I had to read more carefully. I did my own research. I made my own decision, eventually. But I let those endorsements lead me to find certain facts.

But more importantly than who I voted for or how I decided to -- or when -- I voted! And the best part is, I'm still not sure I made the right choice, and I feel like that actually matters.

It's nice to be an active participant in a close race where pundants are typically wrong. It makes me feel important.

Oh how I love living in a republic!

4 comments:

  1. I read all the way to the end of your post and I DON'T EVEN FIND OUT WHO YOU VOTED FOR!! Agggh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If that was the hardest decision you've ever made in a 2-foot by 3-foot enclosed space, then you've obviously never visited the Xperience DVD Palace. Only 35 cents a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hope you made the right vote

    ReplyDelete