Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day

I won't lie, faithful readers: the only thing I like about Valentine's Day is cheap chocolate on February 15th.

Whether bitter and single, or in love and happy, (or single and happy,) I have never liked it. I guess it's the whole idea of needing a day devoted to love. Maybe it's just because I'm a hopeless romantic, but I've always felt that there should be no one day where love is more important than any other day. I've always thought chocolates and flowers are okay the other 365 days a year (in leap year) are perfectly acceptable, and NO flowers and chocolates on February 14 is also acceptable.

I've been lucky enough that the counterparts in the relationships I've been in have felt the same, but I look and find it amusing what people go through to make sure they don't do anything stupid and make sure to say something extra-special on a random date in the middle of February.

I was amused, however, when a class-mate of mine tonight came in with a box of chocolates that she bought for her husband. You read that right, she bought them for her husband. (And not like my mother buys birthday gifts for my father...to give to her. She bought them as a gift for her husband.) She told us of being in the candy shop downtown and being in a store with her and 20 men getting chocolate for their wives.

I'll enjoy Valentine's day this year, but only for one reason: because as far as I'm concerned, I don't need an excuse to eat chocolate.

February 14th is no exception.

3 comments:

  1. and cheap chocolate
    dont make me make a comment on your ass

    i am not even allowed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i dont like valentines day either... mainly cause im either single and bitter like you said, or cause everyone ends up freaking out about stupid presents...

    be my valentine next year?

    ReplyDelete