Saturday, May 24, 2008

rural walking

I had my first long-walk of the summer today. More than the scenic roads -- mostly unpaved -- or the sounds of the back roads of Brewster, MA, I love the people.

Yes, I walk alone, but I see people on the walk. And yes, it's fewer than 10 people, usually, but they all say hi. People wave from their cars, even though they don't know me. Maybe it's that I'm walking in areas where people who walk don't normally explore so I must know the area and know some of the people, or maybe people here are just, well, nice.

I say hi to people in my building I don't actually know, sometimes people on my street, but that's as large as I'll go. Can you imagine a subway ride in a major city in which people would walk on and say 'hi'?

It might be kind of nice...

1 comment:

  1. I say hi to random people on the train sometimes. I met one of my bestest friends in the whole world randomly on the train!

    ReplyDelete