Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Holiday Season

This year, the holiday season came way too early. I do not want to hear Christmas music on November 1. I do not want to walk through Little Italy and be wished a Merry Christmas in lights above the street (in Italian, no less) on October 29. I do not want to see Santa in the TimeWarner center on October 20.

I'm not a curmudgeon, though; I promise. On December 1, I like it all.

The music is contagious -- for better or worse -- and there is nothing more amazing than the smell of trees being sold on the corner. (Okay -- maybe one thing: the look of the street-corner tree-stores after a light snow.)

But the best thing about the holiday season is that no matter when it starts, it always has a set end-date: January 2.

And we all know that the best thing about a tunnel -- even a cheer-filled and song-infested one -- is the light at the other end.

Welcome back, normal life. I missed you. (Though I will miss that tree smell...)

No comments:

Post a Comment