Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Winter Sky

I just spent a week in relative seclusion on Cape Cod. I've spoken before about how much I love that place, even specifically getting into the sky before. But there is something about the Cape Cod night sky in the dead of winter that is even more amazing.

The wind howls -- even more than in the warmer months -- and yet the air has a calmness to it. Everything is peaceful and the feeling of being both part of something greater, integrated in to the world around you and being the ruler of the domain around you is unparalleled when more people are around.

I had hoped for snow that didn't come until I left, yet it's probably better that way; I have no shovel there to dig my car out in the event of snow. But wind, a large Christmas tree, and incredibly stars were more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment