Friday, November 2, 2007

Street(car) venders

In New York City, you can buy absolutely anything you want within 5 blocks of home. While a mile in suburban-speak is nothing, in Manhattan-talk, it might as well be 20,000 leagues: something we know is big, but we cannot even fathom what it actually means.

But more impressive than that: those few times you leave the immediate vicinity of home, you can still buy everything without leaving your seat.

I've seen everything sold on subways, it seems. Great live entertainment, batteries, bootleg DVDs (has anyone ever bought these? how are they? Should I consider getting one?), chap stick, and my personal favorite, deodorant.

Yes, blog-readers, deodorant. Right Guard. In 4 flavors. Sold by a homeless man who was a touch stanky and in need of a stick of his own wares.

Would you get your teeth cleaned by a man missing five of his? Or eat the food cooked by a man with no sense of taste or smell? Or to a lesser-extent, mixed drinks from a Mormon? (I would consider getting my hair cut by a bald man, but only because I think eyes are more important to hair care than hair itself.)

So why buy deodorant from a smelly man?

Oh yeah -- it's only a buck.

I'll take 3!

1 comment:

  1. No.

    And don't buy bootlegs unless the movie's already out on DVD. Horrid quality.

    ReplyDelete