Friday, November 30, 2007

Eating Habits

We all remember (by which I mean I remember) those old Reese's Peanut Butter Cups commercials, "How do YOU eat a Reese's?" (The one that sticks out to me is the vampire: 'I like to eat the insides first!' in perfect over-emphasized iambs.) And these commercials bring up interesting questions of how different people eat certain foods. (I'm sure this sociological study was, without question, in the collective mind of the ad firm...)

So before I go any further, I'm going to answer how I eat a Reese's. You know that little part of chocolate that is the ridge above the cup? The ruffled area? I eat that first, so I get just chocolate. And then I take one bite, making a sickle-type shape, then eat just the middle part leaving a sliver where it's only chocolate and finish off with that.

(Now well the slogan directly after "how do you eat a Reese's" said "there's no wrong way to eat a Reese's," I've seen people look at me as if this is, in fact, the wrong way to eat a Reese's.)

But there are other foods for which I'm not normal. (Please feel free to comment with your particular eating habits.)

Corn on the Cob:
My entire family eats it differently. I, certainly, have the most unique way. A rundown:

-Some cut the corn off the cob and eat it with a fork.
-Some do a ring on the left-most end and continue with rings right next to the preceding ring until the end.
-Some do what I call 'the type-writer' where they eat left to right and then start a new row directly under.
-Some do a zig-zag where they do left to right and then a row right to left directly under that row.
-I make a ring in the middle, then a ring to the right, then a ring to the left, then a ring to the right, then a ring to the left...there's something about keeping the cob symmetrical that appeases my sense, I guess.

Jell-o Pudding, the swirl kind:
I eat the top chocolate layer off, carefully scraping down so that I end nearly exactly where the vanilla (the middle) layer starts. I then mix the vanilla and the remaining chocolate layer to make a brown half-chocolate/half-vanilla flavor and eat that.

Oreos:
I don't split them in half. I don't dunk them in milk. I just freeze them and eat them. Nothing special.

Other odd habits:
-Milano Cookies:
I smooth the corners so the cookie's edges are flush and the top and bottom are identical. I then eat off one cookie, leaving the filling (either the mint and dark chocolate or the milk chocolate, depending on the flavor I get, those being my two favorite) and the other end of the cookie. I then try my hardest to eat off the other cookie leaving only the center. This tends to make a mess, with all the crumbs and whatnot, but it's yummy!


-Kit Kat Bars: I do a similar thing in that I eat off the chocolate first and then eat the wafer insides, sometimes taking off each wafer layer and the, for lack of better words, chocolate glue that holds them together.

So what do we learn from this?
Three things. One: I like to deconstruct my food into each individual element. Two: I like symmetry. Three: I'm strange.

But I guess we knew number three already.

No comments:

Post a Comment